Xanax, a prescribed drug, is commonly utilized to address anxiety-related conditions like generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic disorder. It falls under the category of benzodiazepines, a group of medications that function by boosting the effectiveness of GABA, a neurotransmitter in the brain. GABA is responsible for reducing anxiety, stress and fear by calming down the nervous system.
Xanax can be an effective and fast-acting treatment for anxiety but can also have some side effects, including weight changes. Some people may notice that they gain weight while taking Xanax, while others may experience weight loss. Here we will explore the possible causes and consequences of weight changes on Xanax and how to manage them.
How Does Xanax Affect Weight?
The precise way in which Xanax influences weight remains a subject of an ongoing investigation, as its impact encompasses various contributing elements:
- Appetite changes: Xanax can affect your appetite in different ways, depending on your individual response and the dose you take. Certain individuals might notice a reduction in their hunger levels and eat less than usual, while others may experience an increase in appetite and crave high-calorie foods. It can lead to weight loss or weight gain, respectively.
- Fluid Retention: Xanax can cause your body to retain more fluid than normal, especially in your legs and ankles. It can make you feel bloated and add extra pounds to your scale. Fluid retention can also increase your blood pressure and affect your heart function.
- Sedation: Xanax can make you sleepy and drowsy, reducing your physical activity and energy expenditure. It can lower your metabolism and cause you to burn fewer calories than you usually would. Less physical activity can also affect your muscle mass and strength, further lowering your metabolism and making you prone to weight gain.
- Hormonal Changes: Xanax can alter the levels of certain hormones, such as cortisol, thyroid, and sex hormones. These hormones can affect your appetite, metabolism, mood, and body composition. As an example, cortisol is a hormone associated with stress that may impact your hunger levels and contribute to the accumulation of excess fat in the abdominal region. Thyroid hormones regulate your metabolism and energy levels. Sex hormones influence your fat distribution and muscle mass.
How Common Is Weight Change on Xanax?
Changes in body weight are frequently observed as a result of using Xanax. Nevertheless, the impact on weight can differ among individuals, and specific individuals may not encounter any changes in weight whatsoever.
In general, studies have suggested that Xanax is more likely to be linked to an inclination for gaining weight rather than losing weight. It is especially true for higher doses and longer durations of treatment. However, some people may experience modest weight loss with moderate doses of Xanax.
The amount of weight change that occurs on Xanax can also depend on other factors, such as:
- Your baseline weight and body mass index (BMI)
- Your diet and nutrition
- Your exercise habits
- Your genetics
- Your medical conditions
- Your use of other medications or substances
How to Prevent or Manage Weight Change on Xanax?
If you are concerned about weight change on Xanax, there are some steps you can take to prevent or manage it:
- Talk to your Doctor: Your doctor can help you determine the best dose and duration of Xanax for your condition. They can also monitor your weight and adjust your treatment plan accordingly. They may suggest switching to another medication or adding a non-pharmacological therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), to help you cope with anxiety.
- Eat a Balanced Diet: Try to eat various foods that provide adequate calories, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. Avoid skipping meals or binge eating. Moderate the consumption of heavily processed foods, excessive added sugars, high salt content, alcoholic beverages, and caffeinated products. Ensure to maintain proper hydration by drinking ample amounts of water.
- Make Regular Workouts a Part of your Routine: Aim to engage in physical activity for a minimum of 150 minutes each week at a moderate intensity. It will aid in calorie burning, metabolism boost, mood enhancement, stress reduction, and muscle preservation. Select activities that you find enjoyable and appropriate for your fitness level. Additionally, consider incorporating strength training exercises to promote muscle growth and body toning.
- Effectively Manage Stress Levels: Stress has the potential to induce anxiety and impact your appetite and weight. Discover healthy ways to cope with stress, such as practicing meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, pursuing hobbies, seeking social support, or seeking counseling.
- Ensure Sufficient Sleep: Sleep plays a vital role in maintaining both your physical and mental well-being. Inadequate sleep can disrupt your appetite hormones, decrease metabolism hormones, impair judgment, and trigger cravings for unhealthy foods. Strive to obtain a minimum of seven hours of quality sleep per night. Refrain from using substances like Xanax or other similar substances close to bedtime, as they can interfere with your sleep quality and disrupt your sleep cycle.
Read More Does Wellbutrin Cause Weight Gain?
In my opinion, Xanax can be helpful for some people with anxiety disorders, but it also comes with some risks and drawbacks, including weight changes. Anyone who is considering taking Xanax should weigh the pros and cons carefully and consult with their doctor before starting or stopping the treatment. Xanax should not be used as a long-term solution for anxiety but rather as a short-term aid that can be combined with other therapies, such as CBT, to address the root causes of anxiety.
There are various methods to avoid or handle changes in weight while taking Xanax. These include maintaining a well-balanced diet, engaging in regular physical activity, effectively managing stress levels, and ensuring adequate sleep. Recognizing that these approaches might only be practical for some is essential.
In cases where individuals experience significant weight fluctuations due to Xanax, it may be necessary to explore alternative medications or seek alternative therapies. In the end, the most effective approach to address weight changes associated with Xanax is to remain vigilant and seek assistance from healthcare professionals if necessary.